Have you ever heard of PARK(ing) Day?
For the last decade, designers, artists, and urban advocates have celebrated PARK(ing) Day, an international effort to temporarily reimagine metered parking spaces as public spaces that serve the community. Ranging from miniature parks and coffee shops to tutoring centers and free health clinics, PARK(ing) day interventions both contribute to lively and active streetscapes, and offer humanitarian services to the marginalized members of the community, many of whom call public space “home.”
This year Native Edge Landscape is partnering with the folks at Design Workshop and Central Presbyterian Church to create Sole Purpose; transforming two parking spaces at E. 8th St. and Brazos St. into a makeshift “shoe store” of community service. Through a collaboration with the church’s clients that are currently homeless or low-income, we are collecting donated new and lightly used shoes and boots, and dispersing them to those in need.
If you would like to help out, there are a few ways you can participate!
- Donate to the projects GoFundMe. This will help offset the cost of construction materials.
- Donate new or lightly used shoes. You can drop off shoes at…
- Our Office: at 1426 W. Howard Ln, 78728
- TOMS: 1401 South Congress Ave.
- Design Workshop: 800 Brazos Place, 78701
- Spread the word! Share about the event on social media! You can find out more on their Facebook and Instagram!
- If you are a maintenance customer of ours, we’d be happy to pick up your donations on our next visit. Just let us know!